Occupy Wall Street

Occupy Wall Street is a people-powered movement that began on September 17, 2011 in Liberty Square in Manhattan’s Financial District, and has spread to over 100 cities in the United States and actions in over 1,500 cities globally. #ows is fighting back against the corrosive power of major banks and multinational corporations over the democratic process, and the role of Wall Street in creating an economic collapse that has caused the greatest recession in generations. The movement is inspired by popular uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia, and aims to expose how the richest 1% of people are writing the rules of an unfair global economy that is foreclosing on our future.

The occupations around the world are being organized using a non-binding consensus based collective decision making tool known as a “people’s assembly”. To learn more about how to use this process to organize your local community to fight back against social injustice, please read this quick guide on group dynamics in people’s assemblies.

You can visit the documentary filmmakers website here.

Released 11 Nov, 2011. 11 min. Indie documentary film.

<embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=31865764" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="300"></embed>

Rate:
GD Star Rating
loading...

If you enjoy documentaries, sign up to have new releases sent to you by email!


Also recommended for you:

  • Me

    Good job, make the high and mighty sweat a bit :)

  • doug

    As weeks of national news coverage across North America on ‘tent city’s’ not once has the major TV media news channels that i have watched explained WHY there are tent city’s. They just air the police trying to remove protesters as propaganda.

  • Apoxx

    go on guys. good job. needs some balls to stand up for your believes and stand your ground.
    hope the last news i saw at some major newspapers here in germany about arrestments of occupy-members will not end this but get more publicty into this theme

  • Maurice Aherne

    TEPEE or not: People -might do better to put their tents outside their politicians houses:-literally to take it -to where they live

    ——————–

    Tthe ancephalous but rich and privileged ‘fruit of Gekko’s loins ‘in their Daddy’s office –on Liberty and 48th St –need to see more than this street theatre
    Thousands have left Wall St-who profited from the lead of their ‘Chiefs ‘ below-and who remain wealthy and seeking more or are now….. uncommonly wealthy -on permanant vacation near a golf course-somewhere -neither too hot-nor too cold, but just right.

    The idols of the latest Apocalypse-included but not limited to the US-

    -Tim Geithner & Alan Greenspan & Hank Paulson-with that other guy (actually the worst of them)who looks like a club bouncer -but whose name escapes me-(ah-yes)one- Lawrence Summers

    Their fans of this global X factor -if you will———–being.most of the acquisitive ; aspiring ;but least inspiring people of the western world-from DC to Dublin-to Darwin via Dubai. Alliteration has it’s uses.

    Simply, the ‘People’ -would do better to put their tents outside their politicians houses—
    literally to take it -to where the acquired power- lives!

    The banking class were patently greedy which /is in their DNA-since early last century. Little excuse to miss it.

    The real blame lies with the power ;privilege and legacy chasers-who are politicians-
    and,( not forgetting but trying to-) the assinine but sadly effective media class-
    including members of the advertising PR-and marketing ‘industry’-or in an argot–sons and daughters of Beelzebub.

    Rise up folk—smell the coffee they’re selling you-along with everything else-
    and resist further corruption.

    We may nver have a meritocracy-we were fooled with a democracy;the least we can do now is to exclude avoid and deny the hypocrisy of today’s ‘mediaoceacy’.

    For reasons I mention, include a tent or tipee outside certain risable broadcast insitutions-PR/marketing agencies-et al.

    Maurice Aherne

    • Neil

      You speak a lot of sense-here and elswhere-I see.

    • Maurice Aherne

      Appreciate the compliment. Excuse the typos-’mediaocracy’.

  • Mitch

    Well there doesn’t seem to be much going on other than an improptu woodstock in the streets. I’m all for the idea but it is being executed poorly by what looks like jobless hippies and quacks. Where are the articulate people who have something intelligent to say?

    The type of people at this movement are scaring them away.

  • belem

    It is a shame that the people who should be supporting this movement is the same people who rushed to shops on black friday, how can you force to those addicted to consumerism to give up their credit cards???
    It is a pipe dream.
    The problem is not the 1%, the problem is the rest 99%’s habits.